Dollar General is a chain of stores located in the United States. The headquarters of this corporation is located in Tennessee. By 2018, Dollar General had more than 15,000 stores and over 125,000 employees within the USA. Like many other chain stores, Dollar General has to be careful about hiring its employees. The staff of a company/corporation represent the company and are the closest to the customers of Dollar General. This leads job applicants to wonder if Dollar General hires felons.
A simple answer is ‘yes, Dollar General hires felons’. The Dollar General Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all qualified candidates for employment.
Does Dollar General Hire Felons in 2023?
What you need to know before you apply to work at Dollar General
1. Dollar General is not a supporter of the ban-the-box campaign. This means that job applicants may need to provide information about their criminal history and records when filling out the job application form.
The ban-the-box campaign is aimed at giving felons or ex-convicts a chance at being employed despite their prior convictions.
2. You can apply for jobs in-store at your local Dollar General. If you are unable to apply in-store, you can apply for a job online. Before applying for a job at Dollar general, ensure that you are qualified to fill the position.
3. Dollar General has hired individuals with felonies and misdemeanors in the past. However, Dollar General does not have a program dedicated to hiring felons.
It may be easier to find programs designed to help felons if you contact the unemployment office within the area where you live.
4. Background checks are mandatory. Before you can work at Dollar General, you will need to agree to have a background check. These Dollar General background checks go as far back as 7-10 years.
If it is discovered that you have committed any felonies within the last 7 years, this will affect your chances of being employed to work at Dollar General. This background check is conducted using a third party.
5. After the interview, you will need to take a drug test. This drug test will be conducted only after you have been interviewed. The test may be conducted using a urine sample or a swab.
6. Some convictions reduce your chances of being employed to work at Dollar General. Individuals who committed the crimes listed below are usually denied employment for the safety of the company, staff, and customers.
– Theft: A large chain of stores like Dollar General deals with a lot of financial transactions and merchandise. Hence, individuals with a theft conviction may not be employed in this company. Similarly, individuals with identity theft or fraud charges may not be hired.
This is because they will be working with customers and handling their credit cards. Hence, by not hiring people with any of the above-stated felonies, the company is protecting its customers and their information.
– Violence or assault: Working in a supermarket can be tiring and communicating with customers can be nerve-wracking. For this reason, people with a violence-related felony may not be seen as the ideal worker for Dollar General.
Read Also: Does Dollar Tree Drug Test?
Entry-Level Positions at Dollar General
If you would like to work at dollar general, there are many entry-level positions you can choose to fill. These are warehouse staff, cashier, stocker, driver, sales associate, lead sales associate among others. These positions require different skills and qualifications.
Before applying to fill any of these positions make sure you fit the description. If you are qualified for managerial positions, you can apply when there is an opening.
A key to being hired by Dollar General even with a criminal history is to be prepared for the two interviews. First, You will be contacted for a phone interview, Afterward, you will be invited for another interview.
Before you attend the interview, practice how to answer the possible questions. During the interview, you will be able to talk about your criminal history. Confidently explains the situation and explain what thing of value you are bringing to Dollar General.
In conclusion, Dollar General hires felons. The severity of the crime determines if you will be hired and each job application is assessed individually.
Recommended: Does Costco Hire People with Felonies?