Walmart inc is one of the most popular retail corporations in the United States. Founded by Sam Walton, Walmart was established in1962. Aside from having a chain of stores, Walmart also owns Sam’s clubs and many other versions of Walmart stores in 27 countries. Currently, Walmart Inc has over 11,000 stores all over the world and employs over 2 million people. This company is a household name and it is worth more than 500 Billion dollars.
To maintain the standard that Walmart is known for, the hiring officers are particular when hiring employees. There are numerous entry-level positions that job applicants can apply to fill within the company. Some of the positions include; cashier, stocker, cleaner, delivery driver, Store clerk, sales associate, etc.
In order to ensure that the right people are chosen to fill positions at Walmart, the company does a background check on all potential employees. The result of the background check will affect if the hiring officer sees the job applicant as a risky hire or potential employee.
Here, we will list everything you need to know about the Walmart background check and the information on the check. Lastly, we will explain the Walmart hiring process.
Everything you need to know about Walmart background check
1. Walmart is on the ban-the-box list
Walmart supports the ban-the-box initiative. This initiative argues that employers should remove the criminal record category from their job application form. This is because many hiring officers tend to disqualify people with a criminal record without looking at their qualifications. Hence, people with criminal records are at a disadvantage when companies are hiring. Instead, companies are encouraged to ask about criminal history only when they make a conditional offer of employment.
Due to the fact that Walmart supports this stance, you will not have to reveal your criminal history until you are being interviewed. However, it is important that you do not lie about your criminal history when you are asked.
Walmart may not ask for your criminal history but they will investigate this when running a background check.
2. Walmart pays for the background check
After you submit your job application, you may be called for an interview. If you are being considered for a position, Walmart will run a background check on you. Walmart pays for this background check.
3. Background checks can go back further than 7 years
According to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Employers can run background checks to get information on a potential employees. These background checks can only go up to 7 years. Significantly, many job applicants say that their applications have been rejected by Walmart for events that took place 13-20 years ago. Another applicant stated on a job forum that her application was rejected for a felony she committed at the age of 15.
Walmart’s background checks are not standard and are more in-depth than many retailers.
4. This is not a state-wide background check
Many job applicants assume that the background check run by Walmart will only cover their activities within their state of residence but this is not the case. This check will cull information about you from all over the Nation. Importantly, if you were educated or even got into trouble in a different country, this information may also be on the background report.
5. You may have to wait a while to receive the results of the background check
Walmart background checks are more detailed than that of many companies. For this reason, it may take longer before you may receive the result of your background check. A few job applicants have gotten feedback in 5 days and others have had to wait for up to 3 weeks.
6. Credit checks are not run
Walmart background checks will not involve information on your credit history or financial status. Hence, your financial status will have no impact on Walmart’s decision to accept or reject your job application.
7. You must permit Walmart to do the background check
According to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Walmart will need your approval before they can conduct a background check, If you do not agree to the check, you will not be considered for employment.
8. Misdemeanors may not show up on the background check
If you have a misdemeanor, this may be shown on your record. If the case gets to court, this will be available on the public records and this record will be easily found. However, if the misdemeanor was resolved or settled out of court, it may not be shown on your background check.
What information is on the background check?
The information that can be found on the background check is used to judge your character. The hiring officer or manager also uses this data to decide if you will be a good fit for the position you wish to fill.
The information on the background check include:
– Criminal history: Walmart checks for an applicant’s recent criminal history. This is done to ensure that the applicant will not endanger the customers, staff, and company. If the applicant has been convicted for Assault, murder, theft, sex-related crimes and terrorist activities, their application may be denied.
– Work experience: If you list all the places where you have worked on your job application, Walmart may want to confirm that you have the experience you claim. Some positions in Walmart do not require work experience. However, if you are applying for a managerial role, work experience is important.
– Educational records: Some positions in Walmart does not require advanced educational qualifications. However, applicants that wish to fill executive or managerial positions need to show that they have the educational qualifications required for such positions.
The information on the background check will be compared to the information you provided on your job application. If you lied and it is discovered, you will not be hired by Walmart.
The hiring process at Walmart
If you would like to apply for a Job at Walmart, here is a concise explanation of the hiring process
– Fill the application form: You can go to the Walmart careers page online and choose a position you would like to fill. After you sign up, you can enter your information and submit your application. After submitting your form, you will be contacted by a Walmart officer to fix a date for your interview.
– Attend the interview: The interview will be held at Walmart and it may be an individual or group interview. Usually, only one interview is required but some people have been called for a second discussion.
– Background check: After your interview, the Walmart recruitment official will inform you that they wish to run a background check. It can take 1 day – 2 weeks to receive the result of the background check.
– Take the drug test: Immediately after your interview, you may be asked to take a drug test. This depends on the position you are applying to fill. If you are not given a drug test when you are employed, you may be given one when you are promoted.
– Wait for the call: After completing the interview and testing process, you have to wait for a response. If Walmart hires you, you may receive a call or email directing you on when you can resume work. If you are inexperienced or hired for an entry-level position, you will be told when orientation will start.
Read also: Does Target Run background checks?
The duration of the hiring process varies. It could take weeks or months to complete the Walmart hiring process.
Robert Gomez was born and raised in the Bronx, New York. He currently lives in Northern California with “the wifey,” “the kids,” “the dog,” and “that cat,” 🙁 He is also a former journalist who has interviewed murderers on death row. Felonyfriendlyjobs.org was born to help ex-felons get a second chance in life.