Clayton Homes were founded by Jim Clayton in 1956. Since its formation, Clayton Homes has grown and is now one of the most popular home construction companies in the United States. The headquarters of this company is in Maryville, Tennessee. In 2016, the company recorded a revenue of $4.23 billion and a profit of $744 million.
If you would like to work in construction, Clayton Homes is an ideal employer. The company is almost always hiring, and in 2017, it already had over 14,000 employees. If you are an ex-convict or have been convicted for a felony, you may be wondering, ‘Does Clayton Homes hire felons?’
To answer this question, we examined the employee requirements on the Clayton Homes careers page.
We also checked for a ban-the-box policy and policy concerning hiring felons. Lastly, we analyzed the information provided on different employment forums to give you an answer.
Does Clayton Homes hire felons? No!. However, they may hire individuals with minor misdemeanors. Furthermore, different factors may determine if a person with a criminal record will be hired.
In this article, we will explain everything you should know before you apply for a job at Clayton Homes if you have a criminal record. An in-depth explanation of the employment and interview process will also be provided. If you still wish to apply for a job at Clayton Homes, we will also provide some tips that will improve your chances of being hired.
Read also: Can Felons Travel to Costa Rica?
Everything you should know before you apply for a job at Clayton Homes if you have a criminal record
1. Clayton Homes does not have a clear ban-the-box policy. This means that you may be asked about your criminal history before a conditional offer of employment is made. The information you provide on your criminal history may be used to decide if you will be invited for the interview.
2. Clayton home does not have any programs for ex-convicts. Numerous construction companies have programs aimed at providing ex-convicts with jobs and a means to earn money. These programs ease the process of entering society and being able to live comfortably after being released from prison.
3. This company does not hire ex-convicts but may consider individuals that have minor misdemeanors on their record. However, each case is examined individually. Therefore, if 2 individuals with a criminal record apply for a job, one may be hired and the other deemed ineligible.
4. You will need to pass a background test. Before you are hired to fill any position at Clayton Homes, Clayton Homes will run a background check on you. This check will highlight your criminal history, educational history, work experience, and references.
5. You will also need to pass the drug test. Immediately after your interview, you will be directed to the office or location where a drug test will be carried out. If the test comes back positive, you will not be employed. For this reason, you should stop the use of all drugs before applying for a job at Clayton Homes.
If you are suspected to be using drugs, you will be subjected to a random drug test.
6. After you start working at Clayton Homes, you will be eligible for a raise every 90 days.
7. Clayton Homes provide employees with benefits. These benefits include dental, vision and health insurance, a paid gym membership, life insurance, vacation time and paid sick leave.
How to apply for a job at Clayton Homes
1. Fill and submit the application forms. When you have decided what position you wish to fill, you should submit your application form online. If there is a place where you can attach additional documents, do so when submitting your application.
2. Respond to the phone interview. After submitting your documents and application form, you will receive a phone call from the recruiter. Answer the questions honestly and confidently. At the end of the phone interview, you may be asked to come into the Clayton Homes office for an interview.
3. Attend the job interview. On the day of your interview, go to the office with all the necessary documents. You may be called back for a second interview. This depends on the position that you are applying to fill.
Significantly, Clayton Homes do not conduct interviews via Skype. If you live in a different state, you will need to travel to attend the interview.
4. Take the drug test. Immediately after the interview, you will take a drug test.
5. Wait for a response and resume work when directed.
The hiring process could take anywhere from 3 days to 2 months.
When you apply for a job at Clayton Homes, the interview process can be drawn out. Below, we will explain the interview process at Clayton Homes.
– The interview process for production positions
After the phone interview, you will be invited for an in-office interview. You will be interviewed by the production manager and may have to go to the work floor to see how tasks are carried out.
– The interview process for an office position
After the phone interview, you will be invited for an office interview. You may be interviewed by two managers, supervisors or team members. If more information is needed, you may be called back for a second interview.
– The interview process for managerial positions
If you are applying to fill a managerial position, it is important to note that the interview process is long. After the phone interview, you will be interviewed 2 or 3 more times in the office. If it is necessary, a fourth interview will be fixed. During the interviews, you will be questioned about your skills, experience, education and potential value to Clayton Homes.
Each of these interviews may last up to 45 minutes. The hiring process could take days or months to complete. The time it takes the company to complete the hiring process is affected by the position to be filled, the number of interviews required and the time it will take to receive the results of the background check.
CLICK HERE TO SEARCH FOR CLAYTON HOMES JOBS.
Recommended: Amazon Hire Felons
Tips that will improve your chances of getting a job at Clayton Homes
Clayton Homes do not hire felons. However, if you have a criminal record and would still like to apply for a job at this company, the tips below can help you.
1. Highlight your skills on your Resume. When writing your resume, highlight the skills that apply to the position you want to fill in Clayton Homes.
2. Dress professionally to the interviews. Regardless of the position you want to fill, always dress accordingly.
3. Study possible interview questions and answer questions confidently. Before you attend the job interview, prepare to answer questions that are designed to test how qualified you are for the position you want to fill. During the interview, answer the questions confidently without being smug.
4. Prepare to defend your minor misdemeanor if you have any. If you have a criminal record, your interviewers may ask you about it. Explain how you have changed and emphasize how you are a person of value.
If you apply for a position at Clayton Homes and do not get the job, you can apply again in a few months.
Do not forget there are plenty of companies that hire ex-convicts. See the List HERE.
Robert Gomez was born and raised in the Bronx, New York. He currently lives in Northern California with “the wifey,” “the kids,” “the dog,” and “that cat,” 🙁 He is also a former journalist who has interviewed murderers on death row. Felonyfriendlyjobs.org was born to help ex-felons get a second chance in life.